My wife and I returned from a trip to Baltic region of northern Europe. I didn’t want anything to steal from the precious moments so, amongst other things, while there, I was constantly cognizant of food safety.
Wouldn’t it be great to have a universal food safety grade you could reference when traveling internationally? Now you do in the USA, Canada and the U.K.
If you have traveled international, I am sure you have shared my concerns:
• Sanitation is often suboptimal. Bathrooms frequently lack soap or clean paper towels.
• Food service workers apparently don’t often wash their hands and very few use gloves during food preparation.
• In some areas, food is exposed to flying insects or pedestrian traffic.
• Holding temperatures are neglected.
• Food & tableware is often on the table before customer arrival, for how long?
While we are traveling, I am cautious:
• To drink water from capped bottles and use glasses only when drinking wine or other alcohol.
• I try to choose foods that are hot or if not hot, at least were not in a cream based sauce.
• I avoid foods that may not have been adequately washed, such as salads & uncooked chopped vegetables.
• I avoid some meat, which may have been marginally cooked such as ground meats.
• When choosing foods from a buffet bar, I reach for the part of the dish that was farthest away from the serving line and avoid dishes that were largely picked over.
Fortunately, now, international travelers to Canada or the U.K have a standardized food safety resource with DiningGrades.com
I can proudly say that DiningGrades.com has internationally standardized the ratings in the United Kingdom and Canada and posted them on our website. Travelers can “Dine out with Confidence” in those international travel destinations.
What we give up in terms of the cultural experience to avoid the dreaded food borne illness is a sacrifice to stay healthy while traveling. Fortunately, the sacrifice paid off for us. We didn’t get sick while in in the beautiful Baltics.
Our trip is over, the precious moments were protected, and I have lived to tell you how to protect yourself, just as I did.