Well intentioned, kind and community spirited people offer their generous time, talents and monies to help others, but sometimes the lack of food safety knowledge, experience and/or attention to food safety practices can cause misery.
In the most recent CDC report August 2017 there were 16 food borne illness school outbreaks with 622 illnesses. While the reports are based on data that is two years old this is an increase from the previous year’s report.
We had a first-time experience at the Denver Broncos stadium within the last month. It was fun. Getting there early, we had our first brat and lathered it with condiments at the condiment table. No problem. At half-time we ordered another brat but had to wait while it was thawed out and then cooked. OK. But the condiment table looked like a bomb had exploded. I passed on the condiments and ate the brat and bread dry.
I have to ask, have you ever wondered about food safety at the stadium?
In the 2015 (most recent data) Annual Report from the CDC, published August 2017, there were 902 food borne illness outbreaks in the USA with Norovirus being the most confirmed, single cause. Sixty (60%) percent were traced to restaurants. Sit-down dining establishments accounted for nearly half of the restaurant sources.
My wife and I returned from a trip to Baltic region of northern Europe. I didn’t want anything to steal from the precious moments so, amongst other things, while there, I was constantly cognizant of food safety.
Wouldn’t it be great to have a universal food safety grade you could reference when traveling internationally? Now you do in the USA, Canada and the U.K.
We like staying in motels that offer breakfast. It’s convenient and it saves money. Can’t beat that. But how clean and how healthy is that breakfast food?
It is reassuring that the respective Health Departments do food safety inspections and often post the results for the public. Unfortunately there are many Health Departments that do not post these scores.
Yet, a quick Google search reveals that many people complain of getting food borne illness after eating in a lodging establishment.